The links to each play will, sooner or later, expire.
I’m still keeping brief entries in Day One, but the application has still not added back the publishing capability, so I don’t have an easy way of sharing these. The links to each play will, sooner or later, expire.
A little late to posting summer, and I’d forgotten until tonight when I logged my latest play. I’ve been experimenting with written little short blurbs about the plays in my DayOne journal. Not reviews, just reactions. Those are linked after the entry for each one, but only since I started. Three Shakespeare this season, and another in fall!
Though I’ve seen Into the Woods many times, and also saw Conner’s showcase of Sondheim titled Marry Me a Little, the breadth of my Sondheim exposure was limited, so I was pleased to finally see another, A Little Night Music, at A.C.T. in San Francisco. It was my favorite of the season, though Trouble Cometh at San Francisco Playhouse and Rapture, Blister, Burn at CapStage were close seconds. Twelve plays for the season.
- 2015-05-30 ACT: A Little Night Music (Stephen Sondheim)
- 2015-05-29 Green Valley: VerteFe Cabaret
- 2015-05-28 Big Idea: Coriolanus (William Shakespeare)
- 2015-05-16 SF Playhouse: Trouble Cometh (Richard Dresser)
- 2015-05-15 Green Valley: Dogfight (Benj Pasek & Justin Paul)
- 2015-05-14 CapStage: The Homecoming (Harold Pinter)
- 2015-04-30 Celebration Arts: Best of Enemies (Mark St. Germain)
- 2015-04-19 New Helvetia Theatre: Opening Doors
- 2015-04-16 B Street B3: Buyer and Cellar (Jonathan Tolins)
- 2015-04-11 SF Playhouse: Stupid Fucking Bird (Aaron Posner)
- 2015-04-10 Big Idea: 33 Variations (Moises Kaufmann)
- 2015-03-26 CapStage: Rapture, Blister, Burn (Gina Gionfriddo)
Though I’ve seen a few play multiple times, most particularly Into the Woods, I had never seen a play in two different theatres over a short period of time. Last fall I saw Ideation at San Francisco Playhouse, and then this season at Cap Stage. The performances were somewhat but not remarkably different. Actor Carrie Paff played Hannah in both! Two favorites this season, Tree at San Francisco Playhouse, for the though provoking staging and deep feeling, and In The Heights for the incredible energy of the story and dancers. Nine plays for the season.
- 2015-03-13 Green Valley: In the Heights (Lin Manuel Miranda)
- 2015-03-11 STC: Julius Cesaer (William Shakespeare)
- 2015-03-06 City Theatre: The Cradle Will Rock (Marc Blitzstein)
- 2015-02-15 SF Playhouse: Tree (Julie Hebert)
- 2015-02-05 Cap Stage: Ideation (Aaron Loeb)
- 2015-01-23 Geery Theater: Love Letters (A. R. Gurney)
- 2015-01-22 Big Idea Theatre: Cloud 9 (Caryl Churchill)
- 2015-01-04 SF Playhouse: Promises, Promises (Music by Burt Bacharach, Lyrics by Hal David, Book by Neil Simon)
- 2015-01-15 B Street B3: The (Curious Case of the) Watson Intelligence (Madeline George)
It is often hard to pick my favorite play or musical from a season, as I strongly enjoy nearly every one of them, but I have to say that Motown: The Musical stood out above the rest. It was so full of good energy and good memories for me (I’m of that age when Motown was what we listened to). The acting and singing were superb. Eleven plays for the season.
- 2014-12-11 New Helvetia Theatre: Marry Me A Little (music & lyrics by Stephen Sondheim, conceived and developed by Craig Lucas & Norman Rene)
- 2014-12-10 Sacramento Theatre Company: Kate (Rick Foster)
- 2014-12-05 Big Idea Theatre: Jungle Book (Rudyard Kipling, adapted by Briandaniel Ogelsby)
- 2014-11-20 New Helvetia Theatre: I’m Getting My Act Together (music by Nancy Ford and book and lyrics by Gretchen Cryer)
- 2014-11-06 Cap Stage: Anna Karenina (Leo Tolstoy, adapted for the stage by Helen Edmundson)
- 2014-11-01 San Francisco Playhouse: Ideation (Aaron Loeb)
- 2014-10-30 Green Valley Theatre: Rocky Horror Show (music, lyrics and a book by Richard O’Brien)
- 2014-10-03 City Theatre: The Uninvited (Tim Kelly, from the novel by Dorothy Macardle)
- 2014-10-02 Big Idea Theatre: Exit Interview (William Missouri Downs)
- 2014-09-27 SHN Theatres: Motown, The Musical (a book by Berry Gordy)
- 2014-09-26 SHN Theatres: Pippin (Stephen Schwartz and a book by Roger O. Hirson)
Another season of plays, fourteen this time. My favorite was Songs from An Unmade Bed, New Helvetia Theatre’s one-man performance by Conner Mickiewicz. I was leery – could he really pull it off? – but he did, in fine form and voice. I saw Into the Woods (Sondheim & Lapine) at San Francisco Playhouse. This is my favorite play of all time, and one I have seen far more than any other. This performance was on par with others, but not the best. The best was actually the very first one, in Chico, put on by a community theatre whose name I don’t even remember. Chico Theatre Company is in the space now, but they say they started in 2004, and I saw the play about 1991. I think I have seen the play seven times now.
- 2014-09-18 CapStage: Tribes
- 2014-09-17 STC: Taming of the Shrew (Young Professionals Conservatory)
- 2014-09-05 Green Valley: The Light in the Piazza
- 2014-08-29 Teatro Espejo: Enslaved
- 2014-08-28 B Street: The Conference of the Birds
- 2014-08-13 Cap Stage: Orchid Child (Playwright’s Revolution)
- 2014-08-12 Cap Stage: Black Fly Spring (Playwright’s Revolution)
- 2014-08-02 SF Playhouse: Into the Woods
- 2014-08-01 Big Idea Theatre: The Language Archive
- 2014-07-27 Ovation Stage: The Flu Season
- 2014-07-12 SHN: Once
- 2014-07-11 New Helvetia Theatre: Songs from an Unmade Bed
- 2014-07-10 Shakespeare Davis: Much Ado About Nothing
- 2014-07-08 B Street: Provenance
Not new information, but posting older information I had not posted before. This is the last one, since I started keeping track of plays in this season of summer 2012, though I was going to plays in Sacramento for a year before that.
- 2012-09-06 BigIdea: Red Herring
- 2012-08-24 CapStage: Playwrights Revolution
- 2012-08-23 CapStage: Playwrights Revolution
- 2012-08-22 CapStage: Playwrights Revolution
- 2012-08-21 CapStage: Playwrights Revolution
- 2012-08-16 B St: Seminar
- 2012-08-09 CapStage: Dying City
- 2012-08-03 SHN Theatres: Les Miserables
- 2012-07-30 B St: Shakespeare Abridged
- 2012-07-19 B St: Sketchy
Not new information, but a posting of plays and theaters that I had not previously posted.
- 2012-12-14 SHN Theatres: The Lion King
- 2012-12-13 Sacramento Theatre Company: A Christmas Carol
- 2012-12-07 BigIdea: Love’s Labor Lost
- 2012-12-06 B St: A Pail of Grace
- 2012-11-29 CapStage: Mistakes Were Made
- 2012-11-01 CapStage: The Woman in Black
- 2012-10-28 GreenValley: Rocky Horror Picture Show
- 2012-10-25 B3: The Price
- 2012-10-12 NewHelvetia: Next to Normal
- 2012-10-11 B St: The K of D
- 2012-10-04 CapStage: Enron
Not new information, but a posting of an old season that I had not previously posted.
- 2013-03-14 New Helvetia Theatre: Ordinary Days
- 2013-03-07 B Street Theatre: Robyn is Happy
- 2013-02-07 Cap Stage: The North Plan
- 2013-01-24 BigIdea: New Jeruselem
- 2013-01-17 B Street Theatre: Complete & Unfinished