A little late to posting summer, and I’d forgotten until tonight when I logged my latest play. I’ve been experimenting with written little short blurbs about the plays in my DayOne journal. Not reviews, just reactions. Those are linked after the entry for each one, but only since I started. Three Shakespeare this season, and another in fall!
Though I’ve seen Into the Woods many times, and also saw Conner’s showcase of Sondheim titled Marry Me a Little, the breadth of my Sondheim exposure was limited, so I was pleased to finally see another, A Little Night Music, at A.C.T. in San Francisco. It was my favorite of the season, though Trouble Cometh at San Francisco Playhouse and Rapture, Blister, Burn at CapStage were close seconds. Twelve plays for the season.
- 2015-05-30 ACT: A Little Night Music (Stephen Sondheim)
- 2015-05-29 Green Valley: VerteFe Cabaret
- 2015-05-28 Big Idea: Coriolanus (William Shakespeare)
- 2015-05-16 SF Playhouse: Trouble Cometh (Richard Dresser)
- 2015-05-15 Green Valley: Dogfight (Benj Pasek & Justin Paul)
- 2015-05-14 CapStage: The Homecoming (Harold Pinter)
- 2015-04-30 Celebration Arts: Best of Enemies (Mark St. Germain)
- 2015-04-19 New Helvetia Theatre: Opening Doors
- 2015-04-16 B Street B3: Buyer and Cellar (Jonathan Tolins)
- 2015-04-11 SF Playhouse: Stupid Fucking Bird (Aaron Posner)
- 2015-04-10 Big Idea: 33 Variations (Moises Kaufmann)
- 2015-03-26 CapStage: Rapture, Blister, Burn (Gina Gionfriddo)
Though I’ve seen a few play multiple times, most particularly Into the Woods, I had never seen a play in two different theatres over a short period of time. Last fall I saw Ideation at San Francisco Playhouse, and then this season at Cap Stage. The performances were somewhat but not remarkably different. Actor Carrie Paff played Hannah in both! Two favorites this season, Tree at San Francisco Playhouse, for the though provoking staging and deep feeling, and In The Heights for the incredible energy of the story and dancers. Nine plays for the season.
- 2015-03-13 Green Valley: In the Heights (Lin Manuel Miranda)
- 2015-03-11 STC: Julius Cesaer (William Shakespeare)
- 2015-03-06 City Theatre: The Cradle Will Rock (Marc Blitzstein)
- 2015-02-15 SF Playhouse: Tree (Julie Hebert)
- 2015-02-05 Cap Stage: Ideation (Aaron Loeb)
- 2015-01-23 Geery Theater: Love Letters (A. R. Gurney)
- 2015-01-22 Big Idea Theatre: Cloud 9 (Caryl Churchill)
- 2015-01-04 SF Playhouse: Promises, Promises (Music by Burt Bacharach, Lyrics by Hal David, Book by Neil Simon)
- 2015-01-15 B Street B3: The (Curious Case of the) Watson Intelligence (Madeline George)
Another season of plays, fourteen this time. My favorite was Songs from An Unmade Bed, New Helvetia Theatre’s one-man performance by Conner Mickiewicz. I was leery – could he really pull it off? – but he did, in fine form and voice. I saw Into the Woods (Sondheim & Lapine) at San Francisco Playhouse. This is my favorite play of all time, and one I have seen far more than any other. This performance was on par with others, but not the best. The best was actually the very first one, in Chico, put on by a community theatre whose name I don’t even remember. Chico Theatre Company is in the space now, but they say they started in 2004, and I saw the play about 1991. I think I have seen the play seven times now.
- 2014-09-18 CapStage: Tribes
- 2014-09-17 STC: Taming of the Shrew (Young Professionals Conservatory)
- 2014-09-05 Green Valley: The Light in the Piazza
- 2014-08-29 Teatro Espejo: Enslaved
- 2014-08-28 B Street: The Conference of the Birds
- 2014-08-13 Cap Stage: Orchid Child (Playwright’s Revolution)
- 2014-08-12 Cap Stage: Black Fly Spring (Playwright’s Revolution)
- 2014-08-02 SF Playhouse: Into the Woods
- 2014-08-01 Big Idea Theatre: The Language Archive
- 2014-07-27 Ovation Stage: The Flu Season
- 2014-07-12 SHN: Once
- 2014-07-11 New Helvetia Theatre: Songs from an Unmade Bed
- 2014-07-10 Shakespeare Davis: Much Ado About Nothing
- 2014-07-08 B Street: Provenance
Not new information, but posting older information I had not posted before. This is the last one, since I started keeping track of plays in this season of summer 2012, though I was going to plays in Sacramento for a year before that.
- 2012-09-06 BigIdea: Red Herring
- 2012-08-24 CapStage: Playwrights Revolution
- 2012-08-23 CapStage: Playwrights Revolution
- 2012-08-22 CapStage: Playwrights Revolution
- 2012-08-21 CapStage: Playwrights Revolution
- 2012-08-16 B St: Seminar
- 2012-08-09 CapStage: Dying City
- 2012-08-03 SHN Theatres: Les Miserables
- 2012-07-30 B St: Shakespeare Abridged
- 2012-07-19 B St: Sketchy
Not new information, but a posting of plays and theaters that I had not previously posted.
- 2012-12-14 SHN Theatres: The Lion King
- 2012-12-13 Sacramento Theatre Company: A Christmas Carol
- 2012-12-07 BigIdea: Love’s Labor Lost
- 2012-12-06 B St: A Pail of Grace
- 2012-11-29 CapStage: Mistakes Were Made
- 2012-11-01 CapStage: The Woman in Black
- 2012-10-28 GreenValley: Rocky Horror Picture Show
- 2012-10-25 B3: The Price
- 2012-10-12 NewHelvetia: Next to Normal
- 2012-10-11 B St: The K of D
- 2012-10-04 CapStage: Enron
Not new information, but a posting of an old season that I had not previously posted.
- 2013-03-14 New Helvetia Theatre: Ordinary Days
- 2013-03-07 B Street Theatre: Robyn is Happy
- 2013-02-07 Cap Stage: The North Plan
- 2013-01-24 BigIdea: New Jeruselem
- 2013-01-17 B Street Theatre: Complete & Unfinished
No, this is not really a new post. I separated out the theatre info from my post of last summer. I don’t know if anyone else every looks at these posts, but I do, and I want it to be easier to backtrack on plays that I’ve seen and theaters I’ve attended.
Only nine plays. Yow, I’m falling off.
This spring was lighter than some previous seasons. Tonight I saw Maple and Vine at Cap Stage, opening night of the last play of their season. I’ve not been to an opening night before, but the house was packed, many of the people actors and close followers. The play, about people who intentionally live as though in another time, was a chance for me to reflect on what we’ve lost and what we’ve gained, and to see the humorous and weird side of the historical dance I do. I think my favorite of the season was Hamlet at Galatea, a company that I’ve never seen before, though two of the four actors were familiar from other companies in Sacramento. I’m gradually doing a survey of the professional companies in the bay area, with two plays at A.C.T. this season, one at Berkeley Rep last season, and one upcoming at San Francisco Playhouse. I wouldn’t say the quality is any higher than in Sacramento, but I get a kick out of going to plays in the bay area. The theatre buildings are definitely a wonderful resource that Sacramento lacks. I’ve bought a new season membership at Cap Stage, but otherwise am just seeing plays one by one, usually as they get good reviews in the Sacramento News and Review.
- 2014-06-21 Cap Stage: Maple and Vine
- 2014-06-20 Big Idea Theatre: The Submission
- 2014-06-07 ACT: The Orphan of Zhao
- 2014-05-29 Cap Stage: Good People
- 2014-05-16 Green Valley: A New Brain
- 2014-05-08 B Street: Vanya and Sonia and Masha and Spike
- 2014-05-02 ACT: The Suit
- 2014-04-25 Galatea: Hamlet
- 2014-04-24 Big Idea Theatre: Inventing Van Gogh
- 2014-04-02 Cap Stage: 4000 Miles
My previous seasonal posts on theatre and plays can be accessed through the Theatre category. The seven seasonal posts are only part of what I’ve seen, but that is as far back as I was keeping track.
Sixteen plays. Am I overdoing it? Maybe, but there are worse foibles. I became a member of SHN Theatres in San Francisco. I enjoy the event of going to the theatre in SF, but to be honest the productions aren’t any better than what I can see at home in Sacramento. I appreciate most the energy and courage of Big Idea Theatre, and the consistent quality of Cap Stage, but I also very much enjoy the diversity of opportunities in Sacramento, from a group of friends all the way up through traveling shows of national stature.
The Sacramento News & Review had a year-end review of the theatre scene for the year. Many I saw, some I did not.
- 2013-12-20 SHN Theatres: The Book of Mormon
- 2013-12-07 UC Davis Theatre & Dance Department: Spring Awakening
- 2013-12-05 Big Idea Theatre: Outrage
- 2013-12-03 B Street Theatre: Not in the Stars
- 2013-11-22 Actors Workshop of Sacramento: The Sunset Limited
- 2013-11-17 Runaway Stage: Spamalot
- 2013-11-15 Ovation Stage: Buried Child
- 2013-11-10 SHN Theatres: Porgy and Bess
- 2013-11-09 SHN Theatres: Peter and the Starcatcher
- 2013-11-07 Cap Stage: Macbeth
- 2013-10-31 B Street Theatre: Detroit
- 2013-10-25 New Helvetia Theatre: Tell Me On A Sunday
- 2013-10-24 Sacramento Theatre Company: Pride & Prejudice
- 2013-10-06 SHN Theatres: Beautiful
- 2013-10-04 City Theatre: After Juliet
- 2013-10-03 Big Idea Theatre: Lonesome Hollow
I’ll post about other activities during the fall shortly.